Saturday, October 3, 2009

Elvira's Spicy Pumpkin Soup

I heart Elvira ever since I was a little girl and of course we cannot forget our Mistress of the Dark this time of year. She has a new site filled with all sorts of goodies including her own recipes.

Now, I love me some Pumpkin and if you caught my last post there is even a way to drink it (*gulp, burp).

This is a pretty basic and simple recipe. We're having this for dinner tonight after we create our "Haunted Cemetery" at Casa de Heffington.

Mmm, mmm, chop, chop!

ELVIRA'S SPICY PUMPKIN SOUP

1 stick unsalted fresh butter
6 cups fresh yellow onions, finely chopped
3 15-ounce cans solid pack pumpkin
1 cup fresh whole milk
1 cup fresh half and half
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
8 cups low-salt chicken broth
salt, and fresh gound peppercorns
Cream Topping for Pumpkin Soup:
1/2 cup fresh sour cream
1/2 cup fresh whipping cream
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup shelled green pumpkin seeds, toasted. These are available in a organic food shops.

Whisk the 3 cream topping ingredients in small bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours before serving.

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until clear, about 15 minutes. Mix in the pumpkin, milk, half and half, and the crushed red pepper. Add the chicken broth. Simmer the mixture 15 minutes to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon cream topping onto soup. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds.

14 comments:

  1. Hello GlamaRay ! Love all the Halloween stuff you keep posting so festive i love it !! will have to check out Elvira's site thanks for the info and have a fun fall festive day :)
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't going to be like the casserole from her movie, is it? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually had pumpkin soup on a cruise once! Thanks for some great recipes!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin soup --all soups, really --thanks for the recipe. I had annual Halloween parties up to three years ago and had to stop for health issues -- know the effort required. Three weeks of digging 'cemetaries' in the yard, decorations, fog machines, and not to mention the food and drink that needed extra dressing up -- but it's my FAVORITE holiday and I love it. I was 'elvira' for a few parties. Fun. I see we are fellow Leo's and share an affinity for John Waters....I will also check out Glammaray........oh -- my cats are my kids, too. That and a bunch of wild ones (wild mustang sanctuary) - but they can't come inside and sleep on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious...Stopping by from SITS. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all things pumpkin, and I adore Elvira. I met her as a teen and she was one of the NICEST people I've ever known.

    Popping in from Twitter to let you know about my new movie about a Mommy Blogger! Follow me there for chances to win tickets, prizes and more!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! Soup sounds so... yummy! Followed you from twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU HAVE WON AN AWARD! Come get it here: http://mrsratlady.blogspot.com/2009/10/over-top-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love halloween! and i love elvira! i remember watching that goofy movie show she hosted back a million years ago! thanks for becoming a new follower and for visiting the crib. i did click the follow tab at the top, the widget wasn't working, so please let me know if it did NOT work and isn't showing me as a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen 2 posts regarding halloween. that means I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that sounds wonderful! I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so delightfully lovely! I adore all manner of pumpkin dishes, from sweet to savory. There's something deeply comforting about the soothing, mellow taste of pumpkin.


    Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments this week, and again for the splendid award! I hope you have an amazing weekend, honey!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Twitter

whos.amung.us - visitor maps